City of Charlottesville, VA Fire
|Chapter:||IV - General Administration|
|Subject:||Lost or Damaged Equipment|
To establish Fire Department policy and procedures for the proper management of matters concerning lost or damaged equipment and/or apparatus.
Members who may become aware of lost or damaged Fire Department equipment and/or apparatus shall promptly report such conditions in accordance with the procedures contained within this policy.
A. Any member who becomes aware of lost or damaged Fire Department equipment and/or apparatus shall notify his/her supervisor immediately.
B. If damage is severe enough and/or the incident requires emergency attention, contact one of the following individuals:
1. Rita Scott, Director of Finance (Risk Manager) Office: 97l-3200 Home: 977-5008
2. W. Clyde Gouldman, City Attorney Office: 97l-3l3l Home: 296-6725
3. Yeager and Company Office: l-800-552-2007 After Hours: 74-794-8606 or 74-288-5889
C. The Fire Battalion Chief shall make an assessment as to whether or not theft or vandalism has occurred and, if necessary, notify the Police Department. An incident report must be filled out for any theft of City property.
D. The member responsible for the loss or damage to the property in question must complete the Property Loss Notice Form (green Acord) and forward it to his/her supervisor for their signature. To complete this form, simply fill out lines #4 - #9 only.
E. The Property Loss Notice Form must be completed for all lost or damaged property and must be submitted to the Finance Department within two (2) business days of the incident.
F. The Fire Battalion Chief shall notify the Deputy Fire Chief of the situation and those actions which have been taken.
G. The Maintenance Division shall be notified of any lost or damaged equipment and/or apparatus by means of the CFD Form #l0, Report of Defective or Missing Equipment.
1. The individual filing the report shall enter his/her name in the "FROM" portion of form and the date on the following line.
2. The department number assigned to each light vehicle shall be entered in Section l under "Vehicle Number" or the department Engine or Truck Company Number assigned to each piece of apparatus shall be entered in Section l under "Company Number".
3. The problem shall be described as thoroughly as possible in Section l.
4. The Officer-In-Charge or the Company Officer will sign CFD Form #l0 acknowledging that he/she is aware of the problem as indicated on the form.
5. CFD Form #l0 shall be forwarded to the Fire Chief's Office for the following action:
a. Copy forwarded to Maintenance Division.
b. Original placed in a ten (l0) day suspense file for follow-up by Fire Chief's Office.
6. Section 2 shall be completed by the Fire Department Mechanic or other member who corrects the problem.
7. Section 2 shall include date, time, and individual's name taking corrective action.
8. The completed form shall then be forwarded to the Fire Chief's Office. The copy shall then be re- moved from the suspense file and shall be filed along with the original.
H. The Fire Battalion Chief, in coordination with the Fire Department Mechanic, shall make the necessary arrangements to provide replacement or repairs for lost or damaged equipment and/or apparatus.
I. The Fire Department Mechanic shall repair and/or replace any damaged equipment and/or apparatus.
A. All personnel shall be responsible for completing CFD Form #l0 when applicable.
B. The Fire Department Executive Secretary shall be responsible for maintaining the suspense file and shall notify the Fire Chief or designee of any problem still on file ten (l0) days after submission (holidays and weekends excluded).
C. The Fire Department Mechanic shall be responsible for correcting problems and completing forms.
A. All forms on items that cannot be corrected within ten (l0) days shall automatically move up ten (l0) days each time they appear in suspense file.
B. This automatic move-up every ten (l0) days shall be done in order to insure follow-up.
Go BACK to Book One Contents page.
For Help using this system, send e-mail to: