City of Charlottesville, VA Fire
|Chapter:||IV - General Administration|
A. To provide a continuous and progressive training program which will enable Fire Department personnel to provide the highest possible level of service to the community.
B. To facilitate the acquisition and development of knowledge and skills necessary for Fire Department personnel to professionally fulfill their duty to the public.
C. To provide continuous reinforcement and monitoring of the necessary skill and knowledge levels of Fire Department personnel.
A. The Fire Department shall provide a regular and continuous standardized training program to its members.
B. The Fire Department shall provide standardized training references and materials made available for the use of its members in conjunction with the Fire Department training program.
C. All Fire Department members shall participate in the Fire Department training program relative to their position and classification within the Department.
A. To provide policy relative to the Fire Department training program.
B. To list the responsibilities of the various levels of the Fire Department relative to training.
C. To list the minimum training program requirements in terms of required training hours per month.
A. The authority and responsibility for the adoption and approval of various training requirements shall be vested in the Fire Chief.
B. The Deputy Fire Chief, in collaboration with the Fire Battalion Chiefs, shall be responsible for:
l. Evaluation of training program content.
2. Evaluate continuity of training between shifts.
3. Development of yearly training schedule.
4. Continuity of training between City of Charlottesville Fire Department and other agencies.
5. Work in close conjunction with the Shift Battalion Captains in matters relating to training.
6. Scheduling recruit training.
7. Providing all necessary support and assistance to the Shift Battalion Captains relative to training matters.
8. Arranging for and scheduling special training sessions.
C. Shift Battalion Captains are responsible for the following:
l. Evaluate the training needs of their respective personnel.
2. Coordinate with the respective company officers under their supervision relative to training needs and requirements.
3. Coordinate with the Platoon Training Officer in matters related to training.
4. Provide overall management and guidance to their respective platoons in matters relating to training.
D. Company Officers are responsible for the following:
l. Monitoring training needs of their respective personnel and other personnel who may be assigned to their company.
2. Coordinating with their respective Platoon Training Officer in matters relating to training.
3. Scheduling routine monthly training sessions and drills for their respective company.
4. Conducting and/or assigning routine training sessions and drills for their respective company.
E. All Fire Department members are responsible for participating in Fire Department training activities and for maintaining personal and professional competence relative to the skill and knowledge levels required of their respective classification and position within the department.
A. Training records shall be processed and maintained in accordance with l-VII-23 of the Operations Manual.
B. The various training subjects shall receive a alphabetical code for the purposes of record keeping. Said alphabetical code shall be the same as is indicated in l-VII-23 of the Operations Manual.
The following section identifies the minimum required amounts of training time for the various general training program areas:
A. A minimum of twenty (20) hours of training are required per person per month.
B. The training program consists of the following areas:
l. Recruit training.
a. NFPA Standard l00l
l. F.F. I, II
b. Dispatcher Training
l. In-house program.
2. In-Service Training
a. In-service classes.
b. Streets and hydrants.
3. Company Training
a. Company training classes.
b. Evolution drills.
c. Drivers training.
4. Outside Training
a. College level training.
b. Non-departmental training
Go BACK to Book One Contents page.
For Help using this system, send e-mail to: